2021 Opioid Update
VDA Members - $75 be sure to use the promo code RX to receive your member discount (membership verification required)
Non-Members - $250
Please allow 1 business day for approval.
Course Description (Lecture Style Webinar): In March of 2020, the United States entered a new era exacerbated by the “Perfect Storm” of a national opioid overdose epidemic and a worldwide viral pandemic. Never in American history have all 50 states been in a State of Emergency (April 2020) at the same time due to Covid-19 while simultaneously facing an uncertain future with deaths over a half a million Americans just from the virus by Spring of 2021. In addition, opioid overdose deaths have skyrocketed during this time, putting tremendous stress and fear into Americans. I will discuss the symbiotic relationship of Covid-19 and opioids and what must be done to mitigate their effects on our nation and in our dental practices.
• Examine the current state of the Opioid Epidemic in the United States, including in Virginia.
• Discuss the impact the Covid-19 pandemic has had on the Opioid Epidemic and its national implications and methods to lessen their effects in our dental practices.
• Explore how Fentanyl is driving the current increase in new overdose deaths and the impact on healthcare, the economy and judicial systems.
• Suggest guidelines for responsible prescription writing in light of the current upswing in opioid overdose deaths in the U.S.
Instructor: Dr.Bill Claytor
J. William “Bill” Claytor, Jr., DDS, MAGD
• Graduated from the University of North Carolina Adams School of Dentistry and completed a two year General Practice Residency in Charleston at the Medical University of South Carolina.
• Received the Fellowship, Mastership and the Lifelong Learning and Service Recognition awards from the Academy of General Dentistry.
• Obtained a Graduate Certificate in Chemical Dependency Counseling from Union College (KY).
• Co-chair of the Dental Section at the University of Utah School of Alcoholism and Other Chemical Dependencies.
• Serves as the Associate Director for the North Carolina Caring Dental Professionals (NCCDP).
• Consultant and Board Member of the Dental Well-Being Advisory Committee (DWAC) of the American Dental Association in Chicago.
• Panelist for the 2021 Clinical Practice Guideline on the Management of Acute Dental Pain of the American Dental Association’s Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry.
• Lectures throughout the U.S. on the opioid epidemic, burnout, perfectionism and addiction.
Financial Disclosure: The speaker and the Director of Continuing Education do not have any financial arrangements or affiliations to disclose relating to the content of this presentation.
Visit us at https://www.vadental.org/CE for additional CE opportunities, information on ADA CERP CE credits and our REFUND policy. Questions? Contact Megan Wyman email@example.com
Virginia Dental Association is an ADA CERP recognized provider.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. Concerns or complaints about a CE provider may be directed to ADA CERP at ADA.org/ccepr