Membership in the VDA is more than simply joining an association of peers. It’s camaraderie, community, access to helpful people and resources, and an investment in your practice. You’ll gain access to high-quality, relevant online CE, discounted products and services and marketing support that will help drive awareness for your practice and stay ahead of changes that could impact your practice. And most importantly, it’s one of the best ways to have your voice heard and shape the future of our beloved profession. 


There are many membership dues categories and options. This information will prove helpful to you as you reinvest in all the resources and benefits your membership provides to help you succeed. If you still have questions, please contact Leslie Hicks at 804-523-2172.

Is there someone I can talk with about my membership investment?

Yes. Please contact Leslie Hicks at 804-523-2172.

Can I invest in the ADA, VDA, and my local society all at once?

Yes. To make things easier for you, the statement includes membership for the VDA, ADA, and your local component society. 

When do I need to pay my dues?

You should either have your dues paid in full by January 1 of the current year or be enrolled in our convenient monthly payment plan. 

What are my dues investment payment options?

There are several dues payment options available: 

  • Payment in full by check or credit card 

  • Auto-renew by credit card (monthly payments or in full) 

Can I invest using a credit card?

Yes. The VDA will be happy to accept a credit card payment. You can use your credit card three ways: online, by payment slip, or by phone. To pay online, please visit Phone payments may be made by calling Leslie Hicks at 804-523-2172. 

Can I automatically renew my membership each year?

Yes, you can set up your membership dues to automatically renew each year by paying this year's dues online and selecting the auto-renew option. 


RENEW ONLINE BY JANUARY 1 to enroll in the twelve-month payment plan (January-December). Your future dues will remain on the twelve-month payment plan and will be charged to your credit card on file beginning in January of each new membership year.  


With this option, your dues will be processed when submitted, and your future dues will be processed every December before the upcoming membership year (January-December). For example, your current membership dues will be charged to your credit card on file in December. 

How do I transfer my membership from another state?

Welcome to Virginia – we look forward to meeting you and supporting you during your move. To begin helping you, our first step is to update your contact information and transfer your membership to Virginia.   

If you’re a current member and would like to handle that change yourself, update your information on your "my ADA" page, which syncs with our membership management software. 

If you’re not sure, you can fill out a membership application or you can chat with our Member Relations Manager, and we’ll take care of it for you.

I'm moving. Can I transfer my membership to another state?

We know moves can be stressful. Let us take care of the details related to your membership. Fill out our moving form with as much information as you have right now. Our membership department will update your membership on all three levels (ADA, VDA, and your local component).

Note: If you are moving out of state, please contact the new state to transfer your membership.  


Can I take a tax deduction for my member dues investment?

Yes, as an ordinary and necessary business expense. As part of the deficit reduction legislation of 1993, the tax law was changed to prohibit taxpayers from deducting expenses attributable to lobbying. Accordingly, all of your dues are deductible except the amount attributable to lobbying activities. The ADA and VDA lobbying percentages are listed on the back of your dues statement. These are reasonable estimates of the nondeductible percent of your dues attributable to lobbying. Contributions to the Virginia Dental Association Foundation are tax-deductible as a charitable gift. The Virginia Dental Association Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization.

Note: Nothing in this section is to be considered tax advice. Please consult your personal tax advisor/accountant for specific tax information. 

Is there a way to recoup some of my investment?

Yes! Many members have recouped the membership cost by utilizing the VDA Member Perks-endorsed vendors. VDA Member Perks program vendors offer valuable discounts on various programs, including credit card processing, dental supplies, electronic claims processing, website development, practice and equipment financing, payroll processing, patient financing, patient communications, and more. 

Members can save significantly on events like the Virginia Dental Showcase and continuing education.  

I'm a recent graduate; how much are my dues?

Your established colleagues recognize the importance of supporting new dentists entering the profession and are subsidizing the membership cost for recent graduates. As a gift from your colleagues at the VDA, your dues are as follows: 

  • Remainder of graduation year through first full year of practice: FREE.* 

  • Second full year in practice: You pay 50% of full dues. 

  • Third full year in practice: You pay 100% of full dues. 

*If you attended a residency program immediately following dental school, your reduced dues begin after you complete your program, as long as you maintain continuous membership. 

What does each line item on my statement mean?

The VDA breaks down your statement into individual sections:

  • American Dental Association - This item represents your ADA membership (the national level). 
  • Virginia Dental Association - This represents your VDA membership (the state level). 
  • Component Dental Society - This item represents your local dental society membership. There are eight component societies in Virginia. Remember, membership is three-tiered. That means you belong to your local component dental society, the Virginia Dental Association, and the American Dental Association. 
  • VDA PAC - The VDA Political Action Committee (VDA PAC) is a voluntary, non-profit, unincorporated committee of individual dentists and others. Every year, VDA PAC participates vigorously in the political process to make sure that dentistry’s voice is heard and to ensure that the interests of your patients are foremost in the General Assembly’s eyes.  VDA PAC can play this role only with your support. Whether you like the political process or not, the hard facts of the matter are that effective political relationships involve campaign assistance for legislators and candidates who support the work of the VDA.   

Optional contributions to the VDA PAC are divided between a state account, controlled by VDA members and a federal account for support of candidates for federal office, affiliated with the American Dental Association.  Election laws require that the two funds be kept separate. Contributions are not deductible for tax purposes. Below are the levels of giving: 

  • Gold: $1,250 ($950 State/$300 Federal) 

  • Silver: $750 ($650 State/$100 Federal) 

  • Bronze: $300 ($250 State/$50 Federal) 

  • Friend of the VDA Tooth PAC: $100 ($50 State/$50 Federal) 


What should I do if I know I am going to retire?

For retirement information, contact Leslie Hicks. You can also start the process by filling out the Retired Affidavit.

I'm in a post-graduate education program. Can I still be a member of organized dentistry?

You are eligible for free VDA and ADA graduate student membership if you are enrolled in an educational program of not less than one academic year in an accredited dental school or in an internship or residency program approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. 

I am not currently practicing dentistry full-time. Is there a dues reduction available?

We certainly want to work with our members during different phases of your career. If, for some reason, you are not working full-time, please reach out to discuss possible dues waiver options. For waiver information, contact Leslie Hicks at 804-523-2172.

I’m not working full-time. Do I qualify for reduced dues?

We certainly want to help you continue your membership during this time in your life — and you may qualify for a partial or full dues waiver for the current membership year if you are not earning an income from the profession. For waiver information, contact Leslie Hicks at 804-523-2172.